Overnewton is a member of the Sydenham District which is classified within the Keilor Division of Western Metropolitan Region for Primary Sport. The sporting body is governed by School Sport Victoria (SSV) which is a merging of the Victorian Primary Schools’ Sports Association and the Victorian Secondary Schools’ Sports Association. Competitive sporting opportunities are offered at the district level for students in Years 4 to 6 with opportunity for students to advance to zone, regional, state and national competitions.
SSV encourages the modelling of appropriate values and behaviours in helping students to:
- Incrementally develop skills
- Explore increasingly challenging situations of personal and team endeavour
- Learn about leadership, decision making and building of team cohesion
- Strategically plan and think about game or team challenges
- Experience the rewards of determination, dedication and discipline of self and team
- Learn to manage behaviour no matter what the outcome, by using the appropriate skills, manners and behaviour conventions at all times
In addition to seasonal weekly sport, swimming, cross country and athletics feature as major events on the College Sporting Calendar for students in Years 4 - 6. Trophies are awarded to schools that place 1st at each of the respective carnivals and individuals who excel are given the opportunity to represent Overnewton and the Sydenham District at further competitions at the zone, region, state and national level.
Click here for Year 5 and 6 competition and fixture information.
(Last update February 6, 2013)